CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Clay Steampunk Gears and Pieces




WhysperFairy molds





Steampunk supplies are not hard to find and if you do a proper research you can find them at a reasonable price. Only to have the shipping be more than the product. Seeing as I like to create with clay, I decided to look for molds to create my own gears. I searched long and hard and ended up ordering from Etsy shops (I LOVE ETSY) I got several gears and clock faces. They are great! I have listed the shops and images of the gears below. As well as some of the uncooked clay gears that I created with these molds.

moldsrus

moldsrus

moldsrus
moldsrus

moldsrus

WhysperFairy
moldsrus

 


 

I have also made molds from parts that I took off of machinery that had broken. You never know what you can find inside machines. Everything can be married into a classy piece of art. I used clay that was to dirty to use in any project to make my molds. I will say the only thing wrong with using hard clay molds is that they are not flexible. That makes it harder to remove and that means more trimming later to give it a clean edge look. Hopefully in the future I will be able to buy mold making products, but, as of right now they are too expensive.

Check out the Etsy shops I listed for their wide range of molds. I have had no negative experiences with these molds and would recommend the shops to anyone wanting to make their own parts. Explore your talent with creating your own molds. You will be surprised  at the objects you can use to make interesting molds. Every time I walk around my home I catch myself saying "I wonder what is inside that? I bet it has great parts for Steampunk!"

I think the kids look at me like I have lost my mind. After all when you get up at 3 am and find your mother sitting at the table with wires and tools scattered around and then realize that what they are seeing is our old small oven that only half worked is all over the table , maybe mom has finally went over to the other side! Lol. IT'S ALL GOOD COME ON OVER, WE HAVE COOKIES.   

My next big thing will be learning to paint my clay so that it has the right color and feel of old gears. That will take some more research and time.Haven't I told you yet that I love researching? I wonder if that can be listed as a hobby.

As always

Have fun doing what you Love and Love what you are doing!


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment